CUC Book Ministry — Western Region
The Canadian Unitarian Council (CUC) in 2007 initiated a lending library and intermittent “bookstore” -- a book ministry of inspiring and thought-provoking books for individuals and especially groups, such as church committees or those studying for CUUL – Canadian Unitarian Universalist Leadership – qualification. Each CUC Region has a volunteer Book Ministry Librarian to facilitate and monitor the sharing or selling of these Unitarian interest books.
The books in the CUC Book Ministry collection are mainly published by the Beacon Press or Skinner House Books, both UU publishing houses at the UUA headquarters in Boston. There are a few other presses represented, such as the Alban Institute, as well as some UU congregations which have published books of UU interest.
The CUC Book Ministry collection for the Western Region is currently housed in library space at the Unitarian Church of Edmonton. It is available to individuals and groups at Unitarian congregations and fellowships in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Arborg, Saskatoon, Regina, Lethbridge, Calgary, Red Deer, and Edmonton. Unless you live in Edmonton or happen to be in our city and can come to the church, your main access will be through this webpage.
If, after looking over the list of books, you wish to borrow a book or books for yourself or for a church committee, please contact the volunteer Regional Librarian named below, by telephone, fax, mail, or e-mail, stating your wants. The book(s) will then be delivered to you at the UCE if you are local, or be mailed to you at the address you indicate, at the expense of the CUC, if you are elsewhere. You are responsible for returning any book or books to the Regional Library in Edmonton at your expense.
- To avoid book damage and or loss, securely wrap books in paper and label the package with the Regional Library address.
- Place this package into a padded mailing envelope or box, reinforce with tape, and affix another address label on the front.
- This double-wrapping and labeling procedure greatly reduces book damage and loss, which can be a great liability in a service such as ours.
In your request for a book or books, please include your full name, the name of your congregation or fellowship, and your contact information including telephone number, postal address, and e-mail address. Also in your request please include the borrowing period you wish, to a maximum of two months for each title.
- Orders will be taken for individual copies, as well as for sets for committees, to the maximum number of copies of a title as indicated on the list.
- The individual borrower/committee/congregation must pay the return postage to the Regional Library. Please inform the Regional Librarian after you mail the books back so that he may anticipate their arrival time.
- Books are due back to the Regional Library within eight (8) weeks, unless other arrangements have been made.
- At the present time we have not instituted overdue fines or handling fees, but this situation will be reassessed by the CUC as the Book Ministry program continues.
- Books may be renewed by telephone or e-mail, if there are no prior requests for the same materials.
- Titles may be purchased at the prices indicated, provided there are sufficient copies in the Regional collection to permit this.
- The borrower is responsible for the safe return of all books; please follow the mailing procedure outlined above.
Thank you for looking over the list. Please pass on the good news of the Western Regional Library to others in your congregations or fellowships, and feel free to make recommendations for new additions to the collection.
Thank you for your interest!
Robert E. Brundin
Western Regional Librarian
Western Regional Librarian: email@example.com, or
c/o Unitarian Church of Edmonton
10804 – 119 Street, NW
Telephone: (780) 454-8073
Fax: (780) 542-1641
Book list: www.uce.ca/denomination/CUC BOOK LIST mar 08